How to check whether your movers are licensed?
Relocation can be an exhausting endeavor. Packing your entire household and moving it somewhere else sounds like a lot of work. This is all but true, and in that sense, you should know that moving is always easier when you have some sort of assistance. That assistance could be your friends or family, or professional movers. If you want to prepare for the move in a record time, you just have to call moving companies Hollywood FL and arrange a date and time. However, you should always be careful, because not all moving companies are reliable moving companies. Sadly, there is a lot of scammers out there, and you must learn how to tell if a moving company is legitimate. In other words, you should check whether your movers are licensed. Stay with us to learn how to do it.
What are the advantages of hiring licensed movers?
Some people believe that a great way to boost a moving budget is to hire movers that are not licensed. While the initial price will probably be lower, there many things that can go wrong. For example:
- Additional costs. If the starting price is much lower is than the median market prices, there is probably something fishy going on. Most shady movers offer contracts that have hidden costs. You might end up paying much more than you have previously thought.
- Damage to your belongings. Amateur movers usually don’t have enough experience and expertise to carry out complex moving tasks. Why would you risk any damage to your stuff by hiring such movers?
- The company won’t give your belongings back. There were many reports of moving companies holding customers’ property hostage. This usually happens when customers refuse to pay for the beforementioned additional costs.
- Theft of your belongings. Worst possible outcome, but it should serve you as a warning against doing business with such moving companies.
Basic indicators of a reliable moving company
So, you should always try to find a reliable moving partner. However, that might be more difficult than it seems, considering the sheer number of moving companies that operate on the market. One thing that you can do is to ask your friends for advice. Do you know someone who recently moved? Maybe they can recommend professional movers Miami. If that’s not the case you can narrow your choices down using the following important indicators:
- Quality website. Every reliable moving company must have a website and possibly or even a social network page. You should be able to find all relevant info about the company there.
- Their equipment. Do they maintain their vehicles? Do they possess the newest moving tools? These things speak volumes about the company
- Personnel. Do their employees wear uniforms? More importantly, are they friendly, and ready to answer all your questions?
- A wide array of moving services. When a moving company offers many different moving services, like packing services Miami or storage services, that is a sign of their experience and expertise.
Check whether your movers are licensed by looking at their USDOT number
All moving companies that use commercial vehicles to handle cargo or to transport passengers across state borders must comply with Federal Regulations and must be registered with the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration). This means that a moving company will be handed a unique USDOT number. A USDOT number allows the government to monitor and access its compliance, audits, and perform crash inspections and investigations.
But this number is also valuable to the customers. It will enable you to quickly check whether the company has appropriate licenses and insurance. You can also use the number to quickly review the safety ratings for that particular company. You can usually find the USDOT number somewhere on the company’s website. Once you get it, you can go to the FMSCA website and use their search tool. You will get all the latest details on that moving company including licenses, number of vehicles, and insurance information.
Look for an MC number to check whether your movers are licensed
In addition to a DOT license, another important indicator that a moving company has a license is the MC number (Motor Carrier number). It is also an interstate operating authority assigned by the FMCSA to moving companies that conduct transport activities across state lines. However, while all interstate movers must display a USDOT number, not all moving companies need an MC number. Some interstate moving companies need an MC Number in addition to a USDOT number. While this might sound a bit confusing, you should really know that the operating authority simply clarifies the type of operation that the company performs (for example, household goods), as well as the geographical area that it operates in. Operating authority can be represented by an MC, MX, or FF number. However, you are most likely to encounter the MC number.
Final tip: Check the comments section for more information
Ok, so now you know that the fastest way to see if a moving company has a license is to search for USDOT or MC number. But even if the moving company has a license, that doesn’t mean that they know how to do their job. In that sense, your best bet is to go through the comments section. See what other customers have to say about that particular company. Was the service satisfactory? Pay attention though, as there might be some fake reviews. But these are relatively easy to spot. Likewise, post your opinion when your move is over. That way, you will help others to make the right choices as well.
As you can see, it is of utmost importance to check whether your movers are licensed. Your best bet is to hire movers that someone recommended to you, or you can follow the advice we gave you to find reliable movers on your own. We wish you good luck and safe relocation.