How to prepare for a move across the street?
Most people do not like to move. It is quite reasonable that you would belong to this category as well. Relocation means looking for the best moving company Fort Lauderdale, packing the entire household, stressing over deadlines, and so much more. This scenario does not sound appealing to anyone. However, what if you need to move across the street? This sounds pretty simple. You can basically walk to your new house, but your items cannot. For this reason, here is how you should prepare for a move across the street.
Do an inventory
Before the move, first, do an inventory. The move is a good reason to declutter your home. You probably have dozens and dozens of items you no longer use. Therefore, Miami Movers for Less do not need to move them to your new house. The easiest way to declutter your home is to go room by room. In each room, make three piles.
- Pile to move – all the items that you will move should stay where they are at the moment. You will pack them later when the time comes.
- Donate/Sell – If you have items that are in good condition, you should sell or donate. For selling, you can organize a garage sale or list your items online. Additionally, you can also donate your items. Contact major charities such as Goodwill or the Salvation Army US as they offer free pickups.
- Throw away – everything in bad shape, throw away.
Prepare for a move across the street – a DIY move
You have two options when you are relocating. First, organizing a DIY move or hiring professionals. Since you need to prepare for a move across the street, you can opt for a DIY relocation. Due to the short distance, it is possible to organize a DIY move. The two most important aspects of a DIY – securing a moving truck and asking for help. Even though it is called a do it yourself move, you should not do it only by yourself. No one can disassemble large and heavy furniture alone and later carry heavy pieces by themselves. Therefore, ask your friends for help. You might even have a good time packing when you are with your friends. Turn on music, talk about funny stories from your lives, and have fun. Additionally, rent a moving truck. You can find one at a local truck rental agency or from a friend.
Hire local movers
If you would prefer skipping over DIY move and stress, hire local movers. They’re most useful for the following things.
- Heavy furniture – save your back and let mover take care of your large and heavy furniture. It can be quite difficult to disassemble furniture, especially bookshelves and kitchen cabinets. For this reason, let professionals do the job. They have all the necessary equipment and knowledge so they will not cause damage to your items.
- You cannot find help – sometimes, your friends will not have time to help you. Some friends might not be confident enough to help you with moving tasks. Movers have time and skills for the tasks.
- Special items – if you want to move a piano, an aquarium, antique pieces, then find professional help. Damage to these items is much more expensive than paying for moving services.
Prepare for a move across the street by overlapping move-in and move-out
Since your new house is right across, you do not have to wait for your items to be delivered. You should overlap move-in and move-out dates. This is perfect for reducing stress caused by relocation. First things first, you should get keys to your new place a week before the move. This way, you can prepare your new house, such as cleaning the place, connect utilities, and similar. In addition to this, if you opt for a DIY move, you can move your things slowly. Each day, relocate one room. This would be the perfect moving situation. You can also set up a room at your new home as you are moving boxes. For some items, you do not have even use boxes. You will basically move from one home into a completely functional home in a short amount of time.
Get the necessary packing supplies
When you are moving locally, you do not need all the standard packing supplies. You can use items that you already have in your house.
- Moving boxes – you can find moving boxes for free on Craigslist, at your local supermarket and liquor store.
- Protective materials – do not spend money on bubble wrapping and packing peanuts. Instead, use old blankets, sheets, socks, etc.
- Garbage bags – you can even use garbage bags to pack your clothes.
- Tape and labels – you will definitely need tape. However, the tape is not expensive and it will always come in handy.
In addition to this, pack your items carefully. Even though your move is short, your items can still get damaged. For this reason, wrap your items, secure the protective material, and do not forget to label the boxes. This is especially important if you hire movers and want to move fragile items.
Prepare for a move across the street – more tips
You should move valuable and expensive items. Since you are moving across the street, you can use your car. Take a couple of trips if necessary. In addition to this, you can leave clothes on a hanger if your home is very close to your old one. You should only lay a blanket over the hanger so your clothes will not get dusty. Next, there is food. As you might know, it can be tricky to transport food, especially frozen food. This is not a problem for a local move. You can move it in your freezer. Lastly, even moving plants and pets is simple. Just take your plants to your new house in your car. You can walk your dog or carry your cat to your new home.