Packing and moving fragile items for a long-distance move
Packing your belongings is always a stressful and mentally demanding job. When it comes to packing fragile items, it is even worse. Whatever you do, you will always be under impression that you could do it better. When packing and moving fragile items for a long-distance move, you should ask for help. By hiring movers and packers Miami, your worries will be over. They have professional teams who know how to properly pack breakable items. Proper packing of your fragile items is important even for local moving. For long-distance moving, it is a must. And only guarantee that your fragile items will be safely moved to your new home.
Tips for packing your fragile items for a long-distance move
When handling fragile items, you have to be well prepared. That is crucial to avoid breaking or damaging your costly items. If this is your first move, and you want to DIY, you should at least ask for some expert advice. Or follow our tips for packing your fragile possessions.
What are the most fragile items in a household?
Define what are the most fragile and breakable items in your household. It can be anything from expensive china, glassware, delicate furniture pieces (antiques), lamps, TV sets, electronic equipment, artwork, mirrors, etc. Having it defined, go through your household, and make an inventory list. Write down all your fragile items on it.
Go through your inventory list and declutter your fragile items
After defining the fragile items and before start with packing, you have to do decluttering. Decluttering is a starting part of any move. The same goes for your fragile items. Use the inventory list of all your breakables. Then decide what do you want to take along. You will maybe discover some items that are already damaged. Or you want to get rid of them. Cross such items out on the inventory list and set them aside. This process will show you how much packing material you need. Also, keep in mind that, for the more fragile items, you will need more wrapping material.
Get the proper packing supplies for packing and moving fragile items
When it comes to packing, you can use any material. You can even get the used cardboard boxes from shops. And you can also use the old newspapers for wrapping. However, when you need to pack fragile items, you should purchase the best quality wrapping and packing material. If you move to Miami, you can always contact a good moving company. Good moving companies are also selling high-quality packing materials. So, what are the essential packing supplies you need for your fragile items?
- Packing tape – for securing boxes get the highest quality packing tape
- Strong and good quality cardboard boxes – to ensure safe transport of your fragile items
- Markers and labels – to clearly identify boxes and put “fragile”, and “handle with care” inscriptions on them
- Bubble wrap – to wrap your fragile items properly
- Packing peanuts – to feel any empty space in the box and prevent the fragile items to move and eventually break
- Corrugated inserts – for even better protection
For the fragile pieces of furniture, after you pack them properly, you can add one more layer. You can wrap them in blankets or bedding for better protection. It is also a good idea to pad your breakables-filled moving boxes.
How to properly wrap and pack your fragile items for moving
Different types of fragile items need different packing strategies. So, packing the glassware will defer from packing the ceramic plates. One more important thing – when packing your fragile items, never rush. Wrap and pack them with care. Here are some general tips for packing fragile items:
- Set up a suitable packing place with a flat, clean, and stable surface
- Use small to mid-sized boxes for your fragile items and don’t overload boxes
- For wrapping, use the soft paper first, and then apply bubble wrap as a second layer
- Using newspapers is not recommendable as it may leave stains or scratch delicate surfaces
- Soon it is wrapped up put the item in the belonging moving box
Apply the same wrapping and packing techniques for fragile items you want to store. Some of your fragile items you will not move immediately. For such Miami storage facilities are an excellent solution.
Packing the glassware and ceramics
Glassware, china, and ceramics break easily. Thus, they are difficult for moving and have to be well protected. Especially for the long-distance move. Here are a few tips for packing and moving such fragile items for a long-distance move:
- Select smaller boxes for packing
- Use few layers of wrapping material
- When packing glassware, try to find boxes with inserts, made to have the items separated. That is the additional precaution to already wrapped glasses
- Packing ceramics and vases, wrap each one separately in two layers, using wrapping paper and bubble wrap over it
- Put the fragile items gently into the moving boxes and fill the empty space with packing peanuts
Label your moving boxes carefully
After you complete packing fragile and valuable items and closed the moving boxes, make sure you label them properly. This is very important when loading, unloading, and hauling your fragile items. It is good to write FRAGILE and HANDLE WITH CARE with big black or red letters. And do it on at least 2 sides of each box. This will show handlers that they have to move such boxes with extra care. Regardless of handlers are you and your friends or professional movers. You all need to know what is in the moving box. That way you will make sure that your fragile items will
“survive” their long-distance move. Also, when loading boxes, make sure they are fixed well inside the moving truck. That will prevent unwanted moving of the boxes, which can be fatal to your breakables.
Unpacking your fragile items after the long-distance move
We hope our tips for packing and moving fragile items for a long-distance move were useful. And that you have managed to bring safely all your breakables to your new home. Still, even with good tips, you need patience and skills for packing fragile items. In case you are not sure you can handle such precious items we recommend hiring a moving company. Nowadays, there are many movers and shipping companies who specialize in packing and handling fragile items. The most important thing is that your china, crystal, and glassware reach your new place safely. And, unpacking them, you will feel great satisfaction seeing them undamaged.