Packing your entire household for a long-distance move
Do you need to move? Maybe long-distance? Then, you need to pack your items for this long journey. Most people get a headache when they think about packing. It is not easy to pack your belongings, especially when you are moving across the country. Hiring long distance movers Florida will definitely help with the stress. However, you are the one in charge. There is more to packing than just putting items in the boxes. For this reason, here are all the tips and tricks for packing your entire household for a long-distance move.
Packing your entire household by downsizing
You know that moving is expensive. Long-distance relocation is pretty expensive. Therefore, you should try to save money. The best way to achieve this is by decluttering before you move. Just think about it. Do you really need to bring every single item you own? Probably not. This is just a waste of money and energy. For this reason, it is time to downsize.
- Organize a garage sale – sell everything you do not need. Be reasonable when pricing your items as your goal is to shrink your shipment not to earn the money.
- Online sales – there are many websites, such as Amazon, Craigslist, Facebook Market, etc., where you can list your items for sale.
- Donate – contact major charities, such as Goodwill or the Salvation Army US. They organize a free pickup. In addition to this, get a receipt so you can later ask for a tax deduction.
Gather quality packing supplies
Since you are moving long-distance, you have to protect your items well. They will travel for miles and miles. You have to think about the weather and road conditions. They might not be favorable. For this reason, protect your items well. You will need the following.
- High-quality moving boxes – it would be wise to purchase yours from residential movers Miami. Free boxes sound amazing. However, they might not be the best for a long-distance move. Therefore, only take them if they are in good condition and use them for non-fragile items.
- Plastic bins – perfect for the move.
- Bubble wrapping/ Packing paper – to protect your items inside the box. You can use your old clothes, sheets, blankets as well.
- Packing peanuts – to fill the empty space inside the boxes.
- Packing tape – to secure the boxes.
- Labels – a black marker is more than enough.
Packing your entire household – stay organized
Packing can turn into a huge mess. In order to reduce stress, stay organized. First, make a packing schedule or checklist. It would be wise to pack one room at the time. This way, you will minimize the possibility to lose or damage something. In addition to this, you should decide the order of packing. Usually, you should start with less important rooms, such as the living room or a home office. Then, you can focus on the kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooms. In addition to this, you should pack an essential box or bag. This bag should include medications, a change of clothes, toiletries, chargers for your phone, etc. Apart from this, do not forget to label your boxes. Write down a room where those items should go. You should also write FRAGILE for valuable and delicate belongings. Lastly, keep an inventory list.
How to pack valuable and fragile items for relocation?
When you are packing your entire household, you need to pack your valuable and fragile items as well. For this reason, here is how you should pack them. First, use quality moving boxes. You should not use low quality or used boxes. Use only quality boxes that can provide the necessary protection. Additionally, use plenty of bubble wrapping. As you might already know, bubble wrapping is the best for protecting your fragile and valuable items. Then, you should fill the empty space in the boxes. Your items should not move in the box during the transit. You can use packing peanuts. Next, you should reinforce boxes. You can use tape for this purpose. Lastly, do not forget to label the boxes. This is extremely important. Since movers cannot see the contents of the box, they will rely on the labels. Therefore, write FRAGILE or THIS SIDE UP to inform movers.
Packing your entire household – get help
Some items are extremely difficult to pack. Disassembling large and heavy furniture can be a real challenge, especially for someone who does not have the necessary knowledge, skills, or equipment. For this reason, get professional help. Some of the items that can be a problem include the following.
- A pool table – everyone loves to play a pool table but it can be difficult to relocate one. For this reason, hire professionals since pool tables are heavy and large.
- Old antiques – these can include vanities, clocks, family heirlooms. They are valuable and very delicate. Therefore, be careful.
- Art pieces – again, very delicate. You can easily damage them so professionals should pack them.
- Piano – pianos are heavy and large. Movers have the necessary moving equipment for their relocation.
Mind you, hiring movers is not cheap. Most movers will count this as an additional moving service. Therefore, check with movers first.
Hiring professionals vs packing yourself
A long-distance move is more complicated than a local one. The great the distance, the bigger problems. For this reason, you need to make a choice. Will you pack the items or will your hire professionals? When you hire professionals, they will take care of the entire process. In addition to this, if they damage or lose the items, they will have to reimburse the cost of the damage. However, if something happens to your items due to your packing skills, movers are not liable for the damage. Then, you will need to get moving insurance. Make sure to understand all the risks and options before making the final decision.